By William E. Dunstan
Read or Download Ancient Rome PDF
Similar ancient history books
This e-book tells part of the back-story to significant non secular alterations rising from the tumult of the overdue Republic. It considers the dynamic interaction of Cicero's approximations of mortals and immortals with various artifacts and actions that have been jointly last the divide among people and gods.
Between medieval Christian societies, Byzantium is exclusive in keeping an ecclesiastical ritual of adelphopoiesis, which broadcasts males, no longer similar through start, as brothers for all times. It has its starting place as a religious blessing within the monastic international of past due antiquity, and it turns into a well-liked social networking technique between lay humans from the 9th century onwards, even discovering program in recent years.
This learn discusses the query of even if there's a linguistic distinction among classical Attic prose texts meant for public oral supply and people meant for written flow and personal functionality. picking out this kind of distinction which solely displays those disparities in modes of reception has confirmed to be a tough problem for either literary students and cultural historians of the traditional global, with solutions no longer continuously passable from amethodological and an analytical viewpoint.
Histories of Rome emphasize the methods the empire assimilated conquered societies, bringing civilization to “barbarians. ” but those interpretations go away us with an incomplete realizing of the varied cultures that flourished within the provinces. Andrew C. Johnston recaptures the identities, thoughts, and discourses of those variegated societies.
- Patriarchy, Property and Death in the Roman Family (Cambridge Studies in Population, Economy and Society in Past Time)
- Die Viersäftelehre der antiken griechischen Medizin (German Edition)
- The Family in Late Antiquity: The Rise of Christianity and the Endurance of Tradition
- Christianity and the Rhetoric of Empire: The Development of Christian Discourse (Sather Classical Lectures)
- Between Rome and Persia: The Middle Euphrates, Mesopotamia and Palmyra under Roman control (Routledge Monographs in Classical Studies)
Additional resources for Ancient Rome
Ancient Rome by William E. Dunstan