By Miriam Griffin
- Explores Caesar from quite a few views: army genius, ruthless tyrant, significant baby-kisser, firstclass orator, refined guy of letters, and more
- Utilizes Caesar’s personal extant writings
- Examines the viewpoints of Caesar’s contemporaries and explores Caesar’s portrayals by means of artists and writers during the ages
Read Online or Download A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
This publication tells part of the back-story to significant non secular adjustments rising from the tumult of the overdue Republic. It considers the dynamic interaction of Cicero's approximations of mortals and immortals with more than a few artifacts and actions that have been jointly last the divide among people and gods.
Between medieval Christian societies, Byzantium is exclusive in conserving an ecclesiastical ritual of adelphopoiesis, which broadcasts males, no longer comparable by means of start, as brothers for all times. It has its starting place as a non secular blessing within the monastic international of overdue antiquity, and it turns into a well-liked social networking technique between lay humans from the 9th century onwards, even discovering software lately.
This research discusses the query of even if there's a linguistic distinction among classical Attic prose texts meant for public oral supply and people meant for written stream and personal functionality. determining this sort of distinction which completely displays those disparities in modes of reception has confirmed to be a tough problem for either literary students and cultural historians of the traditional international, with solutions no longer continually passable from amethodological and an analytical standpoint.
Histories of Rome emphasize the methods the empire assimilated conquered societies, bringing civilization to “barbarians. ” but those interpretations go away us with an incomplete knowing of the varied cultures that flourished within the provinces. Andrew C. Johnston recaptures the identities, stories, and discourses of those variegated societies.
- Der Ursprung Spartas - Historischer Prozess und Analyse (German Edition)
- Der Regierungsantritt des Kaisers Claudius (German Edition)
- Sicilian idyls and other verses, translated from the Greek
- Pliny the Younger: 'Epistles' Book II (Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics)
- Histoire de Rome - Livre XVI (French Edition)
- Psalms (Old Testament Readings)
Additional resources for A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Julius Caesar (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Miriam Griffin